Monday, October 24, 2011

39--and Holding! Broken Arrow ESA Chalks Up Another Hit!

        What a record!  The Broken Arrow chapter of Epsilon Sigma Alpha had its 39th annual fall craft show and bazaar last Saturday and it was another resounding success!  These dedicated women, most of whom I've known for a decade or more, are educators, professional women, and artists who believe in helping their community.  

         I've seen their work from the Margaret Hudson Program for young women in BA to Hope for Heroes and the St. Jude Children's Hospital nationwide.  Over the past four decades this Broken Arrow group has given almost $234,000 to various charities!  Amazing!
   
         Being a part of their craft show (the oldest craft show in Broken Arrow!) has become almost a given for me...they have the system for running a show this large down pat.  There were approximately 100 crafters on board this year...and many sign up before the show is over to be sure they have a spot the next year.   I missed last year... and it was certainly good to be back this time around!
   For the two days on the 4th weekend in October, these gals move non-stop!  That's not counting all the months of behind the scene planning that goes into making those two days go smoothly.  You get accustomed to see them going at warp speed up and down the corridors, through the gym, and back again...always ready to help a vendor by minding their booth while he/she takes a short break,  keeping the restrooms supplied and tidy, answering questions, giving directions...all this after they have been at the school from Friday afternoon onwards to mark off and tape the spaces, mark the booth numbers, put a direction signs, set up door prize tables, stock the snack bar, and be ready to greet each crafter with a smile and hand them their packet.  Then at the end of the show, they have to get the school back in order before Monday classes!
      

          They wear denim vests with the ESA logo and the "broken arrow" symbol on the back...come to think of it...I don't think I've ever seen one of those vests moving slowly!!
    The only ones who were standing still for very long were the ones right next to me...they were selling raffle tickets for gift baskets for Hope for Heroes...to help the Blue Star Mothers as well as others aligned with our military.  If there is an important place to be of service, these gals are probably helping. 
           I'm hoping that this week each and every one of them is taking a well-earned deep breath and is relaxing...but I doubt it!   I am so proud to call these women my friends...they are a fabulous group!

          Well done,  my friends!  You're the best!!

1 comment:

  1. I wondered where you disappeared to......now I know.
    It sounds like a wonderful time was had by all.

    Wish I could have seen it.

    Dianne.

    ReplyDelete